Black Alumni Society | UM Alumni |University of Miami
The mission of the University of Miami Black Alumni Society is to facilitate a comprehensive network among UM alumni, students, and faculty to advance the interests and needs of our community and promote the rich history of black alumni at the University.
The University of Miami Alumni Association supports an open and inclusive environment for all members of the Hurricane family. Please feel free to contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 1-866-UMALUMS (862-5867) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who We Are
The University of Miami Black Alumni Society (UMBAS) is an official affiliate group of the University of Miami Alumni Association that is committed to enhancing the UM experience for African-American, African, black non-African-descent, black Caribbean and black Latin University of Miami alumni and students. UMBAS was established in 1989 by a group of dedicated alumni who identified a need to continue nurturing the success of the black community within and beyond the University. Several educational forums, a viable professional network, the advancement of student and alumni interests, and scholarship funding can be attributed to the efforts of the UMBAS.
- Engage former, current, and future UM students in a network that connects them to the University and each other through effective rewarding communication, programs, and events.
- Design and execute a comprehensive fundraising plan for the Black Alumni Society Scholarship Fund and other philanthropic initiatives.
- Facilitate a high level of volunteerism that allows the entire UM family and the community-at-large continue to benefit from a diversity of interests, talents, and backgrounds.
- Encourage investment in and support for the University in its successful pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, and service.
- Celebrate and promote the rich history of UM black alumni by building upon meaningful traditions and dynamic accomplishments.
The Black Alumni Society is proud to offer a variety of leadership and volunteer experiences. Whether you live in South Florida or across the nation, we hope you’ll share your time and talents!
By joining our Executive Board, you’ll have the chance to shape activities and initiatives that have a direct impact on the lives of black students and alumni.
The UM Black Alumni Society’s First Black Graduates Project acknowledged “UTrailblazers”— those who blazed the trail in breaking the color barrier at the University of Miami in the 1960s and ’70s. The UM Black Alumni Society was proud to host UTrailblazers, a signature event on the Coral Gables campus in February 2017. Thank you to all who participated and contributed to its overwhelming success!
As part of this project, the First Black Graduates Endowed Scholarship was created to support students at UM who have financial hardships. Invest in the future of the U today by making a gift.
Have you moved, changed your name or have a new job title or professional affiliation? Let us know so you can stay connected. Update your information today at: